Monday, January 14, 2008

Wide Open Spaces

The days leaving up to December 26th were some very hard days. Not only did I have to struggle with the idea of saying goodbye to everyone. I had to struggle with the fact that I was leaving everything that was familiar to me.

I think that things really hit home when I was at Mam's on Christmas Eve. Seeing Avery and Sophia and knowing that I wouldn't be home when Tiff and Cousin Dan got home with their baby and the fact that I wouldn't be home when Tia came home to give birth to her baby. I couldn't imagine not being in the same state as my parents, friends and the residents who I had developed a really good relationship with.

I had an amazing talk with my dad on Christmas Eve, that proved to me that we are close but in our own dysfunctional way. I dreaded saying good-bye to my aunts, uncles and cousins but that was not as bad as I thought it would be and with Mam avoiding my every move before I left, there were not any tears shed after my talk with Dad. However; Christmas day wasn't that easy.

Christmas day was pretty hectic. Hectic by my choice, I ended up going to three different Christmas's. First to my parents, then to Michael's grandparents and finally to my mother's parents. I cried after leaving my parents house, I cried saying good-bye to Michael's mother and grandmother and I cried while saying goodbye to people at my grandmothers house. The worst part of the day was knowing that I had to say good-bye to Mam, I had been dreading it and although it went well, it was still a very hard thing to do.

I still had a ton of stuff to do on Christmas night when I got home and my friend Mike would not let me spend it all alone, so he came over and helped me make endless trips to the dumpster. I had a ton of stuff to throw away and i guess what was my trash was Mike's treasure. Mike made out like a bandit taking some of the big things that I would of had to just thrown away.

And then it was moving day...

1 comment:

Mrs. Engelhardt said...

Aww....I will probably be flooding your inbox with pictures of every move when we get our referral. You will not only feel like you were here, but you may be begging me to stop! With any luck, some of this will happen when you're home in July!